Cooking Time : 20 minutes micro cooking.
Preparation & Cooking
- Deseed the red chillies.
- Place the dry ingredients like peppercorns, cashew nuts, cumin, poppy seeds, fenugreek seeds and whole red chillies in an envelope and roast on micro HIGH for 1 and ½ minute, shaking the envelope once in between. Remove and cool. And Soak urad dal.
- Cut boneless chicken in 2-inch pieces and marinate with lemon juice, salt and ginger-garlic pastes. Keep aside.
- Grind the roasted ingredients to a fine paste with ½ cup water.
- Heat oil in a microwave-safe big bowl for 1 minute on HIGH and add urad dal and whole spices like cardamoms, cloves, cinnamon, fenugreek seeds and curry leaves. Cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, uncovered.
- Add onion and tomato paste and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes, uncovered.
- Add tomato purée and bay leaf. Stir and cook on HIGH for 1 minute.
- Now mix ground masala and marinated chicken pieces with it. Mix well and cook on HIGH for 2 minutes uncovered, stirring once in between.
- Finally, add 2 cups water; stir properly; cover the dish and cook on MeDIUM for 10 minutes, stirring once in between. Stand the dish for 3 minutes.
Crush 6 optional peppercorns and sprinkle on chicken after placing it in a serving bowl.
Cook paneer or boneless mutton with the same gravy.
For ‘Mutton Chettinad’ marinate mutton for a longer time and add 1 cup more water to the gravy while final cooking is taking place and cook the dish on micro MEDIUM for 15 minutes. Also give more standing time to the dish.
For ‘Paneer Chettinad’, avoid step no 9; for the final cooking after adding ground masala and water cook the gravy for 6 minutes; add paneer, cover and cook only for 2 minutes. Let the dish stand for 3 minutes and then serve.
Note: ‘Chicken Chettinad’ is a dry preparation. Serve it hot preferably with plain dosa or paratha. Of course, the rice eaters can relish it with plain dal and rice, too.
*All the images are indicative.